Monday, February 1, 2016

A Flash Of Brilliance

Lord Baldwin, my favorite bard in these parts, has done it again. His new double music album bristles with wisdom, talent and warmth, the songs are a treat for the heart and mind. It never fails, every time I become a bit too cynical about life in the US these days, a visit to Chester Baldwin's music sets me straight. There is no better or more pleasant tonic for the blues. A musician skilled in the best American tradition of folk music, Chester not only writes all his songs but also performs all the music on a number of instruments, my favorites being his piano and harmonica, and then cleverly puts everything together in a seamless presentation that is always impressive for its array of colour in both the lyrics and music. It seems to me that Lord Baldwin's music is just getting better with time. "A Flash Of Brilliance " exudes warmth, wisdom, deep emotion and an insight into both himself and life. So far I have only listened to Part One of the double album. The opening song of Part One, "Back to the Grind", has great energy and great instrumentals. It leaves you with a positive vibe, in spite of the song being a lament on the drudgery of daily work. The songs always impress me with how varied the moods are of each of them. There is an element of dignity, beauty and poetry given to life's daily challenges. "Dream Your Troubles ( To Sleep)", is a gorgeous lullaby, deeply moving and melancholic, saturated with the wisdom of a loving grandfather singing a grandchild to sleep. I like the hint of Caribbean flavour in the unusual sketch of  " I'm Flying Over Your Head".
With time, Chester's voice is gaining more depth, more warmth and nuance. His songs are soul therapy for a hardened world. I truly enjoyed the fine tuned balance between introspective songs in Part One, and the energetic, extroverted ballads, like "John Bear,.... John Bows". Great, great harmonica in that song! The song " No One's Coming After All ", is a touching tribute to his late father, who was a stage actor, and it is also a candid reflection on the challenges and heartbreak of being a talented artist struggling for recognition, a plight I can sympathize with as a struggling writer and poet. The song " Honey , I Got to Go", is a Baldwin classic, a perfect balance between story line, energy in the instrumentation and voice, brimming with youthful energy. There are 19 songs in this first part of this well worthwhile double album. I am so looking forward to listening and reviewing Part Two. I could do so today, but Lord Baldwin's music is a rich meal for the senses and the soul. I will enjoy the lingering warmth and good feeling of the first part and treat myself and you, to Part Two tomorrow. Don't miss it! "A Flash Of Brilliance " will leave you feeling like you went around on a rocket to a very fun, uplifting, hopeful place : the heart and mind of songwriter, musician and poet Lord Chester Baldwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment