Sunday, June 16, 2024

If Sorrow was a Colour, It Would not: a Poem in the Series "The Howling of the Midday Wolves"

          It never ceases to impress me, how strong emotions, like sorrow, can burn in our hearts so painfully, and yet, we can hide them skillfully, with our face, that like a mask, renders cloaked completely, the wounds of our inner world. That ability is a mixed blessing, at best, because if our inner pain is invisible, so are we. This morning, as night slowly turned to day, with the sweet trilling voices of the birds in the backyard and the adjoining forest, I had this thought, full of both sadness and wonder, what colour would sorrow be, if it could manifest itself to us, could make itself visible, in a gesture of empathy? This poem tries to express that feeling, that need I felt, to see my sorrow as a merciful companion, a guide, that would allow me to find my way back to a feeling of peace, of hope, in the midst of a world that seems to mock innocence and fairness: 


If Sorrow was a Colour, It would not


If sorrow was a colour, it would not, but shift in shape and sound. It would crawl like a caterpillar, searching for its chrysalis, so it could fly free from is prison. If sorrow was a colour, it would not, but jump up from behind the wall where the sky's breeze flies blue. 


***    ***    ***

If sorrow had feet, it would not, but run towards the open door in its dark hallway. It would dance, on tip - toes backwards from the moment the arrow hit its soul. If sorrow had arms, it would cling to the branches of the tallest tree around. If sorrow were not so heavy, it would make its cry open its mouth silenced by the chains loneliness adds to its plight. 

***    ***   ***

If you knew my sorrow, you would lift it with your smile, you would clean its tightly bound torment, and my sorrow would depart. But, you cannot see my pain, for your eyes touch a different water, far from here, so I swallow my sorrow, and drink its tears, like you drink your evening sun's light, as my dreams fade together with my wishes and dreams that you were walking next to me last night. 


Trudi Ralston 


"Toute ma vie, je me suis sentie seule, sauf avec toi."Les mots de Connie Nielsen (1965), l'actrice danoise dans le role de  Lucilla, la fille de l'empereur Marcus Aurelius, a Russell Crowe (1964), l'acteur australien dans le role du general espagnol - romain devenu gladiateur, Maximus, dans le film "Gladiateur" (2000): "My whole life, I have felt alone, except with you."   

No comments:

Post a Comment