Saturday, March 24, 2012

Son, Some Day, All of This Will Be Yours.

This famous line, spoken by Redd Foxx on the television show "Sanford and Son", which ran with great success between 1972 and 1976, came to mind when I looked around my small house this sunny Saturday morning. Clutter drives me crazy in the winter, but in the spring and summertime, when the gray clouds  finally make way for some badly needed sunshine and blue skies, clutter kind of makes me happy. We start cleaning up the yard, planting pansies and primroses, the cats snooze outside on their blankets I put outside for them in the sun on the deck, dusty carpets and pillows get shaken out in the fresh, clean smelling air, my husband starts tinkering in the garage, and messes with our cars, just itching for a project. It is 1o'clock in the afternoon, and we are all still in our pajamas, happily munching on donuts. Nobody cares when lunch is going to happen, all the windows are open ,letting in fresh air, and the beds are stripped down, making the place look like a gypsy encampment. Instead of getting aggravated, I am just happy, grabbing my sunhat, my fat kitty Sneakers and , in my pajamas ,I lay down with a pillow and the purring cat, to soak up the delicious sun, amidst all the clutter of potted plants, shovels, airing out blankets. I feel just happy as a clam. I grew up in a beautiful two story house, sitting on about 5 acres, with a custom made pool, a guest house, a large pond with ducks and swans, and a ton of nice furniture and art. But it certainly did not spell happiness, and in the end all of it was lost to me. My house now, is small and extremely cozy, relaxed, it has the feel of a small, well stocked curio shop. Every room tells a story with its abundance of pictures, books, homemade embroideries and paintings, a ton of books in every room of the house, cats and their toys and blankets,and a big old dog, and her beds and toys and blankets. This house is not for show, this house is for us. It tickles my funny bone on some days, and I will giggle and tell my 20 year old son, "Son , some day, all of this will be yours", and we all laugh, because my son is familiar with the Redd Foxx line. I am so glad I came across the show "Sanford and Son" many years ago. I just fell in love with the show, and years later, it still provides me with a humorous perspective on my own circumstances, and I am happy about that. Happiness is a precious commodity and today, amidst the attempt to make some sense out of the winter's dust and accumulated clutter, with the sun tickling my face and freshly painted sparkling nail-polished  toes, with my husband and son, equally content, I am happy, because I can say that all this is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment