Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The Ladder

Summer is at its end, you can hear it leaving
in the muffled sounds of the breeze and birds.
The sun becomes soft in the shadows it creates
gentle in the steps it guides across the yard.

Autumn comes with a heavy heart.
It never gets easier to let go of summer's butterflies
and brightly colored flowers and skies.
My smile hovers like a dizzy bee past the last hot star.
 

I notice that the shadow of my steps hit the ground
before my feet do, on the invisible ladder before me
that life unfolds each and every day, as I struggle
to see the way up and out of the maze around my eyes.

I hear the sound of my shoes echo like water waves
across my mind, as I reach and touch beyond the line
that crosses from yesterday to tomorrow,
a soft chalk path across my beating heart.


Trudi Ralston.
September 16th, 2015.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment