Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The Poppies

Through a window large and opening in my dream,
I saw a field of giant red poppies calling to me.

Glowing blue in the sun's strong light,
I called to you to go outside, and we laughed
together as we ran like children in a wonderland.

I must photograph them, I shouted out loud,
these giant poppies were brought here just for
you and I, we must go see them, touch them now.

You shook your head, and chuckled under your breath,
let's go have a pic nick out there, grab that blanket
and let's go, you ran beside me, wind in our faces,
there was no time, only light and joy drenching
the poppies and our hearts with red and blue
from flower and sky beneath, above.

I woke with a start, where had you gone?
The sky outside my window silent, its blue vanished
together with the poppy field that was glowing still, red and
deep in my eyes and beating heart.


Trudi Ralston.
June 8th, 2016.
For my brother Bart Desender,
who has been vanishing from my life since April 20th, 1998,
the day our youngest sister Ludwina died.

No comments:

Post a Comment