Monday, May 14, 2012

In Memoriam Willy Van Parys ( 1936- 2011)

I am not sure what prompted me to look up one of the best history teachers I ever had, a man by the name of Willy Van Parys, who taught history and art history at my high school  Ave Maria in Izegem, Belgium. I was there from 1973 through 1976, and have very fond memories of the energetic, enthusiastic teaching style of Mr. Van Parys. He instilled in me a life long passion for history and its importance. Being  this was at the time an all girls Catholic school, and he was a still young handsome teacher at 38, I am sure I was not the only student who had a crush on him. It is so nostalgic to think of that innocence now. At 17 he stirred feelings that later in life would allow me to fall in love. He was a wonderful teacher, charismatic without being pompous or arrogant, patient, bright , with a great sense of humor. I remember one instance where a very sincere older nun came into our homeroom, and asked Mr.Van Parys to please "kill the lights", in view of an effort at energy conservation. The phrasing must have tickled his funny bone, because without hesitation, Mr. Van Parys answered: "Right away, Sister, should I use a gun or would you rather I use a knife?" The elderly nun was not amused, but the whole class burst out laughing. I also have fond memories of our senior high school trip by bus to Italy. He was so knowledgeable about art, and had a real passion for Renaissance. It was wonderful to tour the cities of Florence, Venice, Rome under this enthusiastic teacher's guidance. His death made me sad, I had always hoped to make it back to Belgium and look him and his wife Chris up, so I could introduce my husband Michael and our 20 year old son Nicholas. So much has happened in the last ten years that made me lose touch with two dear high school friends, Kaat Finbow-Desmet and Katrien Decombel-Jacques. I miss hearing from them, and I know it was me who stopped trying, too busy making sense of all the people dying in my family, Ludwina in 1998, at age 36, Goedele in 2005 at age 44, both my parents, it was crazy. I hope Kaat and her friend Catherine Duyck, and Katrien were at Mr. Van Parys' funeral. It is strange to think of him being gone. I sent his wife Chris a sympathy card, as the address on the obituary notice was still the same it was when I was in high school. I hope his wife Chris will find support in family and friends and in the knowledge that her husband was a wonderful teacher who still could stir deep emotions of respect and gratitude and fondness, like in me, almost 40 years later. Rest in peace, Mr. Van Parys and thank you for your gift and talent as a teacher. You were one of a kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment