Monday, March 25, 2013

In Praise of the Ordinary

My husband and son and I lead a quiet life these days, probably quite ordinary from the outside look of it. But I am discovering that for someone who got a second chance at simple happiness after a lot of family tragedy and intrigue, that the ordinary can come quite close to bliss. My husband went with me shopping for some new shoes, and we went grocery shopping together looking for a fun meal to cook on date night, as our son was spending the weekend at his best friend's house. We took our young, energetic dog for a brisk walk in the sun, laughing at her enthusiasm and at our luck , as it started pouring rain as soon as we got back to the house. After dinner, my husband built a great, cozy fire in the fireplace, and we watched a good action thriller together. Just the simple pleasure of being together with the person you love who has stood by me  for going on 27 years now. On Sunday, our son came home, and we had dinner together, and chatted amicably during and after dinner, we all slept in and my husband made a big brunch, and we lazed around on the deck in the fresh spring light and sunshine. Our next door neighbor was mowing his lawn, and our dog was barking and visiting with his dog across our fences. My son was looking forward to a whole week off from college for Spring break, which meant I get an hour extra sleep in the mornings. We had been using a new shampoo and conditioner, with Moroccan Argan oil extract, and we all enjoyed the new sweet rich scent and fullness it gave our hair. Simple pleasures, on a simply happy weekend. No stress, no schedule, no worries, no tension, just three people, relaxed, content. I would step outside after the rain subsided time and again, and luxuriate in the feel of the warm sun on my face. I petted and brushed our 13 year old kitty napping in the warm afternoon, I fed the eager two squirrels who come around for breadcrumbs and apple cores I put out for them. The birds were noisily and happily welcoming the new spring. The simple pleasures of life, a cozy home, a loving family, plenty of food, shelter, security, safety and peace. Long live the ordinary, if it feels that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment