Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Courage Under Fire

A few years back, we had next door neighbors who were very loud, at all times of the day and night, with seemingly endless traffic of partying friends who drank hard with them,and also did drugs very enthusiastically. They mistreated their dog, which I took care of,and after an exhausting pursuit of two years with Animal Services and the Sheriff's Department, the dog was finally rescued. The boyfriend at the house was also abusive, and there were two small children living there at the time. One night, when he and the girlfriend were both drunk and high, he got to hitting here outside in the yard where I could hear what was going on. I did not hesitate and called the police who came over very quickly when I told them I was concerned about the small children at the house. I gave my name to the police because I wanted the neighbor to know it was me, that I was not afraid. I will never forget the look on his face the next day when he saw me. He was more ashamed than anything else. Apparently domestic violence often goes unreported, because people "do not want to get involved". What the hell does that mean? We are all connected, and cowering to bullies who take it to the next level and start using their fists is crazy. I stand up for the abused animals in our neighborhood, so why would I not stand up for an abused woman, man or child? That is why the case in Cleveland, Ohio is so encouraging. The three captive women and the six year old child got out because a brave neighbor was not afraid to get involved. Charles Ramsey acted with his heart, which is what all of us should do. He was twice the brave man, because he acted on his own, before police got there or were involved. Often the most frustrating part of taking action is the indifference of people around you. What are we so afraid of? That we say no to violence, to abuse, to cruelty and neglect? Good for Charles Ramsey, to remind us of what it is all about! He saved the lives of four people, who had been living in hell for years. What is more important than that? We can all make a difference , in our home, in our street, in our neighborhood. Give it a try. It feels really good. The case in Cleveland, Ohio is an extreme case of abuse, a horror story in broad daylight. Most of us will never have to show the courage Charles Ramsey showed, not even knowing what agonizing hell he was freeing those four people from. But there are instances of neglect and abuse all around us all the time, so open up your ears and eyes. One person living in fear, maybe right next door, is one too many. Pay attention, get to know what is happening around you. Get involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment