Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Trash Man Cometh

Evergreen Shores in Olympia is an older mostly quiet working and middle class neighborhood, that is charming because of all the older evergreen trees and the access to a park and pool. In recent years though, an element of white trash attitude has crept into our residential area, leading to some unpleasant behavior, like vandalism and trash left in the streets and also dumped onto the more deserted streets, giving some of the streets the look of derelict neighborhoods, with a feel of slimy unease and raw discomfort. So, to combat the trashing of the area, some brave neighbors take it upon themselves to go around collecting trash. My friend Diane is such a neighbor, and recently I have seen a man also collecting trash, not taking this depressing vilification of our living space. I do not know who this neighbor is, but he always cheerfully waves when we drive by, like he is having a good time doing this good deed. It is so uplifting to see this good citizen daily doing his part to make the world a little better in his unselfish, quiet and apparently very happy way. There is so much wrong with the world, far and near, but as long as there are people out there who do not take no for an answer, hope stays alive, in small ways and big ways. Helping to free a neighborhood of unwanted trash in its streets seems insignificant enough on a grand scale of things in the world, but to live surrounded by this kind of ecological emotional violence is depressing, and to see my neighbor cheerfully pick up the trash on his daily walk through, lifts my soul, and on those days that things are a little harder than comfortable, that lift can make all the difference. It also makes me feel connected to my fellow man, and may make me try a little harder myself to make a difference, in however small way I can. So, bless you, Mr. Trash Man, it is always good to see you walking my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment