Thursday, September 12, 2013

Empty

We went to Cannon Beach in Oregon last week for a couple of days. It was wonderful, the weather was incredible, warm and sunny, the mood relaxed, the local seafood delicious. We took our Flemish Bouvier- Labrador, Yara, with us. We also have a cat, Tigger, and my longtime friend and neighbour, Diane, watched him while we were gone. It seems a simple thing enough, to watch a friend's cat for a couple of days, but as with everything Diane does, it was done with sensitivity and kindness, as she knows how much my animals mean to me. When my husband and I were at Dueber's store, one of our favorite places in Cannon Beach to get gifts, we noticed a pretty onyx jewelry box. It opened up to show a pretty pattern and light inside, and the sight made me think of how my friend has a heart where there is always room for more kindness. I was going to put something inside the onyx box, but I decided against it, because I liked the idea of the jewelry box being a symbol of her open, spacious heart. When we got back, and I told Diane why I got her the onyx box, and why I liked it empty, she was visibly touched by the analogy. I have known this petite and strong woman for 18 years now, and she is there for everyone, all the time, never saying no, always patiently listening, caring, helping, soothing, regardless of whatever problems and challenges she faces herself. It is quite remarkable in a world that encourages selfishness and narcissism. Like a quiet place, filled with  moments of silence and reflection, Diane has a peaceful spirit that makes everyone who spends time with her want to be a better, more focused on what truly matters, person. Empty. Not as in void, without meaning, but filled with openness, breath, space. The kind of openness and space that heals, strengthens, encourages and recharges. A timeless, ever welcome gift in a distracted, anxious world.

No comments:

Post a Comment