Saturday, July 4, 2015

July 4th

The morning was so quiet. This always happens on holidays. It feels like at least half the neighbourhood empties out. Since we have no family nearby and very little faraway, this day is always very quiet for my husband , son and I. In the past, we attended my neighbour Shelia's BBQ.
she and her husband did for all the neighbours in our street. Shelia and I met at church 21 years ago, and she and her family moved away in 2013. Our other neighbours who are our friends usually have their own family over. We have a few more friends, and as our children are becoming adults we seem to see less of these friends too, on this holiday. It seems like a political holiday, as soon as you think outside of your own little circle. There is no denying that this big country is full of contradictions. It seems it is easy these days to criticize the US, but considering how large this country is and the large numbers of different cultures all trying to get along and make sense of things, we also should remember how young this country is. It occurred to me that in spite of its youth, the US has some very old wounds already, not the least of which is what President Obama referred to so poignantly as "our original sin ", when referring to slavery in the aftermath of the horrific shootings in Charleston and the recoil of the debate on the Conderate flag. I think this country can figure out its problems, but it will take time and wisdom, and youth is not known to appreciate the first or have any interest in the second. And as in any times of contention, ill intentioned political opportunists will try to take the ball and run with it. I hope that does not happen, or if it does, that it will be very temporary. I was thinking of some of my foreign born friends, who like me have made this country their new home. Like me, several of them come from complicated families and have struggled with overcoming some very stressful personal circumstances. Perhaps that is why I find myself more tolerant of the constant bickering this country seems obsessed with politically these days. I am hoping that phase will pass, and this country will find a way to make peace with itself for the benefit of all of its citizens, like myself. I remember how proud the 4th of July would make me when I first became a citizen in 1994, as I would watch the beautiful fireworks in Seattle with my American husband and our young son.
I have to admit that pride today is tinged with melancholy, wondering where the future will lead this country and what legacy it will leave our son who just graduated from college in June. I hope the confidence this country inspired so far, will not fade over time with doubt and scepticism, with bad politics and narrow minded decisions that surrender to selfish motives and dubious explanations.
It is hot and quiet outside. I look forward to cooler weather. The heat is a bit oppressive. Not unlike the weather politically in this country, my country, right now. Political seasons come and go. Let's hope the next one will bring the kind of weather that will give us renewed growth and hope all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment