Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Luncheon

For many years now, my friend Diane has made a gracious habit of having me over for lunch. I usually walk to her house, as it is only two streets over uphill, and makes for a nice stroll. Her house is a quiet place in spirit , even when many people are around. Diane exudes peace at all times, and is a great listener. When I spend time with her, I always feel lighter, like she lifted some invisible burden I was not even aware of. She sets a nice table, and always has something interesting prepared. We talk, share, and I always feel I am in the presence of a very spiritual and wholesome person, who makes me want to be better than what I am. Few people have that effect on me, but Diane does. She lives to serve others, in a quiet, modest and self-effacing way. She is a small person, but is imbued with a relentless spirit of devotion and compassion. Children love her, and she has had and continues to have a healing and loving influence on all the children that come through her house. She does not judge people, she sees the best in very one, and you can trust her with your darkest fear or secret, it will stay in her heart. So lunch at Diane's house is a spiritual experience, because she has such a deep respect for every human being she comes in contact with. She is the closest I think I've come to be around a real modern day saint. If I told her that, she would just laugh in disbelief. But I remain convinced she is, for every one's life she touches, is better for it. She spends her whole life helping others, whether they are grateful or not, and I cannot think of any one else I know that has such a peaceful and loving heart, truly seeing all others as brothers and sisters who she will help at a moment's notice. She really lives the ideal of a gentle humankind, never deterred by the odds or challenges.   

No comments:

Post a Comment