Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The haircut

For a number of years now, my hairdresser has been Yvonne, a very sweet and energetic Vietnamese young woman who together with her parents and sister Yvette, run a nice hair and nail salon on the West side of Olympia. Over the course of the years, I became friends with the family, and always look forward to get my hair done. Yvonne is a wizard with style and color, and it is always fun to see how she changes my hairstyle just a little to keep the experience fun and delightful. She and her family are very close. I was invited to her wedding, went to Yvette's engagement party, just got invited today to Yvette's wedding in September. I love visiting with their mother, a calm and kind woman about my age. Yvonne just had a baby girl, and I know her husband Richard, and also their young son Andrew. When I go there, I feel part of the family, and briefly forget the pain of no longer having a family of my own , other than my husband and son, and a distant few in- laws. I get to hear about the wedding plans, see the latest pictures of Yvonne's baby, get to share some hot tea and fruit and cookies with Yvonne and Yvette's mother, and they make me feel wanted and welcome. For a  couple of hours, I am in a loving home of an extended family who care about each other. I love the musical sounds of the Vietnamese language, the incense by the Buddhist altar up front, the chanting of the Buddhist monks music tape, the paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling. It feels like home, because when I am there I feel happy to be included. If I want to go "home", I go get my hair done. Sun Hair and Nail Salon on Cooper Point Road here in West Olympia. Check it out if you pass through town, and need a good haircut, and a feeling like you just stopped by a happy home.

No comments:

Post a Comment