Monday, October 8, 2012

A Woman of Independent Means

Taking in the delicious early afternoon sun today at lunchtime, I noticed a spider under the eves by the kitchen door, starting a web. I quickly became fascinated at the speed and agility this spider was working her eight legs for maximum efficiency. The mathematical accuracy of the dimensions and the incredible athletic strength  she demonstrated as she was building the outline of the web had me mesmerized. The consistency in the dimensions, the methodical approach and rhythm were truly impressive. I had never taken the time to watch a spider build a web from scratch, but I decided it was well worth it. In under an hour, she had the job done, then sat contentedly in the middle of her masterpiece, awaiting her first unsuspecting victim. As I was watching her build this architectural natural wonder, threading silk she pulled with great dexterity from her abdomen, while hanging on precariously to the outline of the web, I thought, you go, girl! She was the sole provider in her family, she used her own body to both build her house and the source of her nourishment, without depending on anyone or anything. She did not need  to turn in a job application, go to an interview, anxiously wait for approval. She was the boss and the job, and she was the builder of her own house to boot! This girl had it going on! I have always been respectful of spiderwebs, because they looked like they were a lot of work,now, since I saw one being built, I will try even harder not to disturb these engineering marvels. It was a bit creepy to watch all those legs going all at once building this marvelous web, but as I swallowed my aversion, I began to realize the spider needs all eight of those spindly legs to pull this feat off. I was also impressed with the spider's focus. There was no such thing as taking a break. She started and kept going until the job was finished. The woman has my respect.

1 comment:

  1. I am at your blog for the first time. Thanks to Michael's directions. I look forward to following your blogs.

    ReplyDelete