Saturday, October 13, 2012

Fall Mood

I woke up early, before daylight, to the sound of gunshots. Hunting season is here, a frightening time for my animal forest friends. We know of only two hunters skilled enough to use bow and arrow. That, at least , I can respect, as it requires great strength and skill, since you have to get quite close to the animal, and kill it with one shot. The rain is coming down relentlessly, welcome after 83 days of dry, hot weather, a record for this area. So, we are shifting the living space back inside, as it seems barbecue season and swimming season are over. The flowers are fading and melting under the heavy rain curtain, the spiderwebs are being knocked loose by the wind . Fall in Western Washington is here. Our four footed friends are leaving their muddy footprints all over the house, and I could not care less. They are part of our family, and I gave up a long time ago to worry about getting the Betty Crocker household award. We focus on every one being cozy, accepted and comfortable, and that includes a high tolerance for pet prints,an assortment of cat and dog blankets every where, and sharing space in our small house with our big dog, and two cats. The two cats sleep in a number of places, in closets, and sock drawers, it is really quite fun, wondering where they have gone hiding. Tigger, our boy cat, sleeps on my chest on cold nights, and makes for quite a cozy extra blanket. It is a shift, when fall and the inevitable rains start, as everyone goes indoor, and our living space shrinks to half without the spacious yard and its patio, deck, pool, greenhouse, orchard. So, every one gets re acquainted to close quarters, and it makes for some hilarious moments. The Indian poet, Rabindranath Tagore, said " God must love humble people, as he made so many of them". When I look around our crowded house today, I think God must love us, as it is quite humble around here, but also very comfortable and exceedingly cozy, as I make sure I don't sit on one of the cats before I eat my breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment