Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tinker Bell

The Tinkerbell character,apparently should be spelled Tinker Bell. The fairy first appeared in J.M. Barrie's 1904 play "Peter Pan" and its 1911 novelization "Peter and Wendy". She is world famous now, and has always been my most favorite Disney character in their animated version of her. Her fascination to me goes back to my childhood when I first saw her in the Disney movie "Peter Pan". The fun thing to me about her was her strong will, in spite of her small size. The fact that she could fly and because of her small size get in and out of tight spots, literally, only added to the appeal. She was important in spite of her diminutive size, and she was not afraid to throw her importance around. She also left that cool trail of gold pixie dust, and wore those fun slippers and that cool outfit. She was not afraid to be angry or shrewd if need be,I thought it would be fun to be Tinker Bell. In spite of only making a tinkling sound and not being able to verbalize, she was very effective at getting her point across. In a world of seemingly befuddled females, Tinker Bell was quite independent and for the most part quite unimpressed with male shenanigans. That is probably why I still get a kick out of her and have a Tinker Bell figurine, and even a Tinker Bell necklace. As someone who is still trying to figure out an effective way to get my needs met and respected when it comes to men, Tinker Bell is kind of an inspiration tucked away in a corner of my brain where the childhood memories and struggles are stored, dealing with domineering male cousins, uncles, and a rather forceful father when it came to gender lines. Not to mention my adult brain now, still fuming at times, quite like Tinker Bell was known to do, when dealing with my strong willed husband and some of his confounding attitudes. Tinker Bell keeps me smiling at my struggles without giving up my determination or perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment