Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Dandelion Seed

The weather yesterday was just sweet. Warm, sunny, bright blue sky with a concert of happy birds, a gentle breeze. Ah, spring, t'is a sweet thing. I was sitting on the deck with my two cats, all three of us grateful for the luxurious lunch break. I looked up at one time, just enjoying the ease of the afternoon, when I noticed a dandelion seed just dancing in the wind. It seemed to enjoy its blissful ride across the back yard, tumbling upside down, on what looked like a very fun ride. I thought how the seed would eventually twirl down to the ground and take root in the soil, and eventually grow a whole new dandelion flower. It made me reflect on our hopes and dreams, how the best we can hope for is to trust the wind of our inspiration, and hope our intuitions and efforts land those dreams in the right direction so they take root and grow strong and blossom. Today, the mood is different as I am reminded of an upcoming annual medical exam, bills, unpleasant relatives, far away friends and the general state of affairs in the world, rife with violence and challenges. But, when I think of my sitting in the sun yesterday, and that playfully floating dandelion seed, I smile. Its whimsy and freedom, and complete surrender to its destiny were wonderful to see, and an inspiration to my doubts and concerns today on this morning that left frost on my daffodils and pansies.

No comments:

Post a Comment