Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Understanding

Only when I slow down time does it start to chafe
as long as I keep moving, I don't feel the rocks bumping
the underside of my soul.
So, I just keep going, because the numbness gets rid
of the burning pain.

Before me I see a glowing sunset, the colour of my eyes
in eyeliner of charcoal grey smoldering in reds and smoke the fire
of my dreams.

Only when I turn off the sounds all around me do I 
feel how heavy breathes my longing to escape this cage
strapped to my spirit and to my heart.

Marching like a soldier believing in a cause
I resolutely step up the pace, as the horizon seems to gather near.
Birds overhead soar towards the endless sky.
My cry blends with theirs in
one smooth stroke of destiny's daze.


Trudi Ralston.
 March 5th, 2015. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment