Saturday, January 7, 2017

A Unique Mystique : The Hypnotic Appeal of Daryl Dixon

I cannot say that I was one of the people who started watching the blockbuster TV series The Walking Dead because of Norman Reedus and his portrayal of Daryl Dixon. Very quickly though, I learned about his appeal through one of my neighbours who is a big fan. There is no denying that the actor personifies male animal magnetism and charisma. I became intrigued by the series because my son loves it and I started watching it with him. I liked it right away, and decided to start watching it from the beginning. Because of my neighbour's enthusiasm for Norman Reedus, I started paying attention to the Daryl Dixon character, and my son also thought the character very interesting and worthwhile. I have to agree.( The first boy I ever dated had Daryl Dixon's feline and penetrating, inscrutable eyes,good looks and shaggy hair; he was also pretty cold and mean. So, a bit of misgiving has lingered when it comes to lynx eyed guys.) By the middle of season three, I was convinced that Daryl Dixon was as intriguing as he was handsome and muscular. His skill with a bow and knife only adding to his mystique. By season five now, I am impressed. Not since Charles Bronson has there been an actor who embodies the strong silent type with such conviction and charisma, and I think he exceeds the Charles Bronson appeal with his ability to convey warmth and emotion. We learn of Daryl's disastrous childhood at the hands of his abusive father and of the trauma of losing his mother in a tragic house fire. Norman Reedus is a skilled, varied and accomplished actor who is also an artist, photographer and writer. A bit intimidating, really. In real life as well, the actor is complex and intriguing. To learn that he also modeled for such illustrious fashion houses as Prada only adds to my feeling almost annoyed. Damn, this guy has everything, devastating looks, muscle, talent, intelligence. If he walked into a room, instead of running excitedly towards him asking for an autographed picture, I would probably want to walk the other way with my heart pounding in my chest, looking for the back door. But enough about that. Norman Reedus is flawless as Daryl Dixon. One of my favorite things the character reveals about himself is when someone asks him, as people around him are prone to do, what it was he did before the zombie apocalypse, wondering if he was a spy, an undercover cop and he answers that time and says very humbly : " You want to know what I was before this? I was just another redneck asshole. I was nothing." He says this without anger or resentment, but with a deep realization that that was exactly what he was. Another revealing moment is when he and his obnoxious older brother Merle get into a scuffle and Merle ends up tearing the back of Daryl's shirt. It reveals a back scarred from repetitive beatings, apparently endured at the hands of their violent and alcoholic father. Merle is taken aback, he did not know that their father also beat Daryl, because Merle left. Daryl reproaches him abandoning him to that fate as Merle answers in defense : " I had to leave, I was going to kill him."
It is moment that reveals how helpless Daryl was as a child. Another moment where Daryl allows himself to be seen as vulnerable is when he tells young Carl  ( Chandler Riggs) who just had to shoot his mom after she dies in childbirth so she won't turn into a zombie, how his own mom " Liked her wine. She liked to smoke in bed, Virginia Slims", and how he was on his way home one day to learn that his mom burned up together with the house. The revelations Daryl gives are a way to help others understand that he too is no stranger to tragedy and loss, no matter how indifferent emotionally he comes across. His loyalty is endearing, as is his warrior like skill and speed with his crossbow. He is a character that grows on you, unlike the samurai sword wielding Michonne ( Danai Gurira ) who I liked and admired instantly.
The mystique of Daryl Dixon is well deserved. I have no way of truly knowing what kind of person Norman Reedus is, but by now I would not mind so much finding out. He does seem kind hearted in his effort to contribute some of his time and energy to charities for children and against animal cruelty, that is a nice balance to his artistic endeavours.  I continue to look forward to every episode of the Walking Dead and there is no denying that Norman Reedus is an essential part of that anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment