Monday, January 23, 2017

Coffin Soliloquy

I told you to leave the lid open,
at least a crack, so you can peek out
while no one is looking this way.
It was a bad idea to stick around, to feel
the satin and plush inside, to feel the
soft slide of the wood under your curious touch.

Yeah, I know it is dark and cold around here,
why should that be a surprise to you now?
Doesn't all the mindless chatter out there bother you?
It is all the same to me, what I look forward to
is the moist dark earth all around me, peace
and quiet at last!

You should get out of here, you stay much longer
and they are bound to believe it truly is your funeral today.
They should know the difference, I suppose, but listen
it is not like you were around much before,
make some noise, girl, whistle, clap, stomp your feet,
you can't just lay around here, intruding on my schedule and time.

Any last word you say, before you sneak away?
Well, go live a while, before that pillow in here is your last.
I will be fine, there's a back log this week, never you mind.
Close the lid on your way out, I've been wanting to scare
that nasty woman over there by the pond, she is looking for her
uncle she thinks is in the room where I am hanging out.


Trudi Ralston.
January 23rd, 2017.



No comments:

Post a Comment