Wednesday, June 20, 2012

In the Summertime

Mungo Jerry wrote a memorable tune that to this day, forty years later, remains exceedingly popular. I imagine just about every oldies but goodies rock radio station will be playing his upbeat, happy song again, on this first day of summer. To me, Mungo Jerry's song is associated with one of the happiest summers I can recall. The summer of 1969, when my parents, two sisters and my brother and I , and our new boxer puppy, Gorki, spent two months at a wonderful  large seaside apartment in Oostende, Belgium. I was 12, and as it turned out, the weather, with a few exceptions was wonderful all summer long. The apartment was given to us for free for the duration of the summer, by the mother of my dad's boss, one of the perks in his climbing business career. I have always felt most alive when I can be near the ocean. That was one thing about living in the heart of Texas that made me feel trapped, it was hours and hours away from any ocean. That is why I am happy to live in Western Washington, because I can get to the ocean in one and a half hours, and our favorite vacation spot for many years now, is Cannon Beach in Oregon, which is also just hours away and well worth the 4 hour drive if you get to stay a week. The ocean replenishes my soul, recharges my body's energy, lifts my heart, my spirit, just makes me feel good about life. My father's mother lived by the sea, and my dad's youngest sister still does and has so now for more than 40 years. It is only a ten minute walk from her apartment to the ocean, how I wish I could say that about my house. On the plus side, it is only a 3 minute walk to the lake from my house, so, I can not complain too hard. Lakes are peaceful, but also static. I love the ocean because of its energy, its sounds, its scents, its wet sand and sea creatures, the wind, the way the sun burns stronger because of the ocean breeze, and the whole relaxed atmosphere, year round , regardless of the weather, of the mere presence of the water. The summer homes, the shops with ice cream treats and all sorts of ridiculous and unnecessary souvenirs, that we drag home in an attempt to take part of the ocean's joy and energy with us, the seafood restaurants, and the casual way people dress, the kids, the pets, and every one looks pretty happy. My ideal place to grow old would be by the ocean, and my ideal place to die, also by the ocean, inhaling with my last stubborn breath  the salt and wind of its timeless mystery and fascination.

No comments:

Post a Comment