Thursday, October 24, 2013

Fog

The last two weeks we have been dealing with some persistent fog in the mornings, that tends to stick around until the early afternoon, causing havoc with traffic in some areas. As I was driving back from the luxuriously green entrance to Evergreen State College, I was enjoying the nice fall colours of all the trees, that were shrouded in a thin, opaque layer of fog. I have always been partial to fog, because it softens contours, and makes everything look like an impressionistic dream. Of course, I do not enjoy it when it is thick and dangerous, that is an entirely different matter. But the fog like it was at 10 o'clock this morning, makes me feel like I am safe and justified in my fuzzy perception on certain things.It occurred to me that whether or not we realize it, we are all fuzzy on a lot of things while we believe we have a razor sharp vision on life. That is of course a fantastic illusion. There are many things we have a very slippery hold on. The family we are born into, the place that happens, the way our parents treat, or mistreat us as children, our genetic inheritance, the fallout of certain relationships, a measure of our health, how long we live, and when our time runs out. Oh, sure , we can alter and control some of these things, but when all is said and done, there are many things that remain hazy as to the finer points of human existence. Whether we are born at a time of war or peace, how that affects our ability to express and pursue our talents and dreams, whether we are born into a society that smiles on human rights or violates them, and when we leave a repressive system, whether we will have any better luck in our newly adopted land. Yes, some of that too depends on will and personality, but some of it will also be plain luck. So, fog to me is very pleasant in its milder forms, because it brings to mind the elusiveness of precision as far as our lot on this earth is concerned. Fog is vague, and it always has a relaxing effect on me. There are only so many things we can control, and when I start stressing about aspects of my life I wish were more exact, more precise, or even more clear, I look at the fog hanging about sleepily on the trees and houses around my street, and it brings a smile to my face. Do your best, but don't be afraid to let the fog's wisdom do some of the rest. All of your worries may just dissipate to some extent like fog before the sun, because unlike us humans, fog knows very well it will vanish when the sun comes through, it seems to have very little illusions as to its temporary nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment