Monday, November 11, 2013

The Place To Be

Recently I saw a couple of nostalgic episodes of  " Green Acres ", the hilarious sitcom that starred Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor and ran from 1965 to 1971. This outrageously funny show telling the mishaps and challenges of a wealthy Manhattan lawyer and his glamorous wife who move to a shabby farm in a place called Hooterville , is very good about making one feel positive  about one's own circumstances and limitations. Watching Mr. Douglas ( Eddie Albert ) put one of his wife's infamously disastrous pancakes under a wobbly table as a stabilizer, or Mrs. Douglas ( Eva Gabor ) cut her thick, sticky coffee with a knife as were it paste, or listen to Pat Buttram, who plays Mr. Haney, try to weasel Mr. Douglas out of another couple of dollars for shoddy farm equipment, is like a vacation for the mind. The whole incongruous notion of a wealthy Manhattan couple moving their expensive furniture and lifestyle, gowns and diamonds included, to a run down, cramped farm in the middle of nowhere is medicine for the blues any time. Eva Gabor is incredibly charming and effective as the clueless penthouse socialite, as she strolls around Hooterville in minks and white gloves and gorgeous designer outfits, in impeccable hair and makeup. Equally funny is the sight of Mr. Douglas riding his tractor in an expensive three piece suit, or trying to carry on a conversation with Mr. Kimball or the Monroe brothers, or the Ziffel family and their "son", Arnold, the pig,very refreshing treatment for the funny bone. Most of our lives have limitations, either due to circumstances or character, or both. To be able to put those limitations into perspective with the help of a very effective, screwy sitcom like " Green Acres " makes sure we don't take ourselves too seriously and it makes up for those days that we sprinkle with bitterness, because we do. I was raised in socially privileged circumstances and my adventures into making the US my country brought me to a more humble standing, not any less interesting or rewarding, but definitely not up to snuff in my mother's book. I had to struggle to overcome the insecurity and lack of self confidence I had because of my mother's rejection of my circumstances in addition to my person and identity, so a show like " Green Acres ", reminds me to be kind to my own struggles and hang on to my dignity and sense of humour. I laughed so hard watching that show again. I am so glad Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor were so good in these roles.What a great legacy and gift to the world of comedy. I am sure a hundred years from now, someone somewhere will be able to get their positive attitude and good humour back because of watching some, or all, of the  " Green Acres " episodes. I did. Green Acres is definitely the place to be some days, just like the theme song sung by Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor promises so convincingly.   

No comments:

Post a Comment