Monday, February 10, 2014

Alice in Wonderland

In the land of dreams is where we meet,
where space is limitless and horizons are bright
under cover of stars and night.

What a thrill to take flight, to soar with eagles
above waters clear, strong and roar in giddy delight,
free from the shackles daylight brings to mind.

Time stands still, expands, dances around us,
a ballerina glittering in blinding colours and strides,
lifting away any sorrow, fear and dread.

As I breathe in the joy of freedom's run,
I notice the blankets on my bed oppressing
my laughter and my head.

Alas, dear Alice, you are leaving me behind,
as I struggle to fit my dream dazed body
back to the size that my bed will hold.

The kitchen seems so large, and I suddenly feel so small
as I reach up to the counter and quench my thirsty throat
with water from a glass that wants to slip from my minute hand.

In the land of dreams is where we meet
where space is limitless and horizons are bright
under cover of stars and night.

Sometimes it is you, sometimes it is me
who struggle each with size too big, too small
to fit the stage set for our freedom song.

Trudi Ralston
February 10th, 2014.

We are all misfits, in one way or another, and fitting in is often
an illusion, a disguise for dreams that slipped out of sight, and left
us too big, too small for the circumstances we now have to overcome
and fight, like Alice had to in Wonderland.  

No comments:

Post a Comment