Thursday, April 23, 2015

Gravity 's Cloak

I have a fondness for science - fiction and in that vein I was impressed by the movie "Interstellar". The 2014 movie by director Christopher Nolan deals with a crew of astronauts traveling through a wormhole to find a habitable planet for humanity since crop blight is making the survival of the planet no longer a possibility. The movie deals very successfully with the difficult concepts of gravity being able to manipulate time and being able to be used to communicate when one of the lead astronauts, played very convincingly by Matthew McConaughey, travels through a wormhole that allows him to communicate with his daughter in the past via the construct of a tesseract. The movie keeps your attention  through the elaborate story and the implementation of mind boggling quantum physics, and is both magical and completely compelling. I find the movie sticks with me like a very good and rich meal and I find myself wondering how amazing it would be if we were able and allowed to use this malleability in our own lives that gravity seems to be capable of, at least in theory. The idea that we could manipulate time is hypnotic, to say the least. Would it allow us to accept the past better, or understand it better, if through some rift we could briefly revisit it and have a better understanding of what happened there to us and the ones we love ? The idea of moving into the future seems acceptable as possible, but returning to the past seems a permanently unsolvable riddle. Perhaps the closest we could come to revisiting the past are parallel universes, where we could live out alternatives to our current existence. Maybe in that version of gravity manipulation, I would go pursue that dream of becoming an art teacher or world traveling journalist, and maybe I would grow up in a family with parents that loved each other. Maybe in that parallel universe my sisters would not die so young and my father would be strong enough to stand up to his spoiled, destructive wife and she would be a woman that was not out to destroy her family. But, maybe in another version of the possibilities of parallel universes, things would have turned out even more difficult and I would not have the love and warmth of my husband and son, and not have learned the lessons life brought me, and maybe I would not have found the peace and strength I have now, and the chance to heal through writing my poems and my experiences. Still, there are times when it feels like the possibilities of several parallel universes come at  me all at once, making things muddled and frustrating. But I am convinced now that no matter what the possibilities in the time that is real and concrete for this life, making the best of what is in front of me is definitely adventurous and challenging enough. Gravity may have its cloak, but I feel I still have a few tricks up my sleeve in this dimension.  

No comments:

Post a Comment