Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Chance

The rain is coming down in a slow shower of rustling drops
that brings to mind a rainstick from a long time ago.
The house is warm, wrapping its comfort around my smile.

I think of how after all these many years, 40 years is quite a number,
talking with you feels natural and right. My cousin by blood, we were
children together not aware how far we would drift apart.

We never stood a chance, as circumstance would make sure
suspicion and estrangement would rule, not family or heart.
I moved a world away always wishing we could bridge the gap.

One by one my family fell away, in a current that could not be stopped
washing my dreams in the bitter waters of their rush.
The child I was forever lost, I walked away, fires all around my past.

Now your strong and open minded heart allows me a chance
to know you, to learn how for you life has unfolded
and I find the past melting its ice to give the now a start.

The woman I looked up to as a shy and unsure child
I discover as a friend willing to walk a while by my side
as finally we get to know each other and stitch new pattern with a common thread.

Laughter a new delight on the path along with the sharing of hopes
and regrets, there is now a space in me where you and I 
are a family that no longer wishes to dream and walk apart. 

Trudi Ralston.
April 7th, 2015.
for Myriam Nys.
Thank you, from my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment