Monday, March 14, 2016

Monster's Lullaby

Hush, big monster, don't you cry,
money and greed are now your lullaby,
don't you worry, don't you fret
all that glitters will be gold yet.

Hush, big monster, not so loud,
we don't want to scare the fools in the crowd,
file down your fangs, clip your claws
when we get ready to grab, we want to be fast.

Hush, now, lumbering monster, practise that smile
let's cover up the foul odour of your cackle and sneer,
no one must know who is your master here, let them stay blind,
while we have you lure them astray with your mind numbing song.

Hush, big monster, try on this suit, no one must see me with you,
I will stay here in the basement while you lead the parade,
just make sure they end up right here, way down in the dungeon
where I created you, out of the vapours and bile their fears surrendered to.

Hush, big monster, don't run away, don't you see they are prepared
to give me everything I want, because all the ugly they want to hate
is their own cowardice painted over with chalk and red, blood their
thirst, blood my path to lead this army to the promised land.

Hush, big monster, step aside, mirror, mirror on the sky,
who will be the prettiest ruler of them all ?
Look, it is me by far, it is I who will decide who lives and who dies,
with you by my side, my precious monster, to hide my loathsome, evil mind.


Trudi Ralston.
March 14th, 2016.
There is a shadow on the land, and it is not the setting sun
or the rising moon at night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment