Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Past Forward Barry Ryan Style

One of my all time favorite songs has always been the 1966 song " Eloise " by Barry Ryan.
I first heard and saw it on our black and white television  in 1968. I was 11 and completely spellbound by the passion and energy of the song. It stuck to the bottom of my soul like super glue. It just stayed there, unmovable for all time. Every so often I listen to it, to kind of jump start my sense of still being young and relevant. Today I found a version Barry Ryan did in 2013. I hesitated for a moment. Did I want to see an older, middle aged Barry Ryan? Then I decided, sure, why not? If I can accept myself getting older, then why not accept a heartthrob got older, too?
I was pleasantly surprised.  Still dressed all in black, the singer's voice was undiminished, as was his energy and passion. He seemed completely comfortable with his short grey hair that with the passage of the years had replaced his lush, long black hair. But the face still looked  young, and he looked healthy and fit. He seemed happy with himself and where he was. It was very reassuring. He apparently had no interest in being anyone but himself. His voice intact, strong, powerful. It was past forward, Barry Ryan style, cool, slick, as fresh and cutting edge as ever. " Eloise " is such a unique song, in its depth of the emotions and the power of its passion. That he can still sing this song of  youthful passion with such conviction almost 50 years later is very encouraging. The heart and its dreams and longings have no age, no time limit. The song is amazing in that it describes both the depths and heights of passion all in one song with flawless transition and no self pity or hesitation. It is raw and tender all in one. One of the best love ballads ever, both rich in existential anguish and spiritual surrender and longing. In that sense it is art at its best. It is a true gem of both a unique time in musical revolution combined with the beauty of a song that will always  also be timeless, breaking both the barriers of its time and times to come. No wonder I wanted my name to be Eloise after I heard that song as a short haired shy eleven year old. Barry Ryan's " Eloise " will live and be loved forever. Who does not want that ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment