Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Zomba Prison Project : I Am Alone.

This morning, looking for interesting albums in world music on Bandcamp, I came across two albums from Malawi, both under Zomba Prison Project, done in the maximum security prison there that is desperately overcrowded and in need of the most basic supplies, to raise money and awareness for the 2000 prisoners there, in a facility that was built to house 430 inmates. The songs, done by both prisoners and prison officers, are spellbinding in the warmth of the feelings and the depth of sadness they express. You do not need to speak Chichewa to appreciate the humanity the songs convey. The first of the two albums, " I Have No Everything Here", was nominated in the Best World Music Album for the 2016 Grammys and both albums were produced by Grammy winner and author Ian Brennan. The second album, " I Will Not Stop Singing" has a song titled " Everything Has An Owner " in which the singer and the melody reminded me of  the warmth and richness of Harry Belafonte's voice and songs. I was surprised at the power, hope, dignity and will the songs generated, and how the voices reverberated through my house and heart with resilient energy, giving testimony to the musicians' determination and humanity under what are undeniably horrible prison conditions that are apparently no stranger to absence of the most basic necessities for days at a time, like food. Go to Bandcamp and buy one or both albums. The money goes directly to Sister Anna who is in charge of providing assistance to the prisoners. One of the songs on the first album has a stunning song called  " I Am Alone " and is sung by a woman with a crystal clear voice that rings into your heart and mind across the distance of continents and oceans. You forget that the setting is a grim prison. Both the albums are amazing in the beauty of the heartfelt songs, the fierce dignity of the singers who seem undeterred by their circumstances, who seem to melt the prison walls with their courage to face unbroken the reality they are dealing with. The songs do not linger on bitterness, anger and loss, but on love for life. The songs also speak of love for family left behind, in melodies that are tender and heartbreaking, such as in the haunting song " Please Don't Kill My Child ", on the album " I Will Not Stop Singing ". Even without knowing the circumstances or understanding the language, the song is spellbinding in the most chilling way.  Instead of doubting life, the songs want to affirm it, inspiring the listener in an honest and humble but never shy or uncertain way. A beautiful project! I think I will not only purchase the two albums, but will also surprise gift them to a friend far away who will be delighted and intrigued. I know I am. The rain and grey clouds seemed to melt away as I was listening to the songs that also inspired a renewed sense of perspective and determination into my own challlenges.The best way to say thank you to the muscians is to let them know I heard their songs, their voices by supporting their cause across the miles shortening the distance from their hearts to mine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment