Friday, July 20, 2012

Brenda

In 1998, when my son Nicholas started Kindergarten, I met a neighbor whose son was also enrolled that year. We became friends through the connection our sons established. It is 2012, and Brenda is still very much a part of my life. When Nicholas was growing up, she always remembered his birthday, always was kind and considerate to our family, also remembering my husband's and my birthdays and anniversary, always remembering us at Christmas time, as she knew we have very little family on both sides. When my sister Goedele died in 2005, which led to the final dissolution of whatever semblance of family I had left, Brenda was there for me. I spent many a happy afternoon at her house, just enjoying her boundless energy for every one around her. She is the neighborhood fairy godmother, watching out for every one, especially those neighbors and friends who were ill, or down on their luck. Every one is always welcome at her house, it is a home with an always welcome attitude. When I turned 50, she gave me the best birthday I ever had, with a custom made cake, decorated with chocolate dipped strawberries and orchids. She calls me every couple of days, and we talk about every day concerns and life's ups and downs.She makes me laugh, she keeps my perspective open, and she always reminds me of the importance of giving freely of our love and time. She helps me feel connected, part of an extended family, when I no longer have one myself. She has a grandson now, the light of her life, and I enjoy her stories of the latest adventures and anecdotes the little boy brings to her daily life. She is a faithful, steadfast friend,and has brightened many a cloudy day for me and many people. She is a tireless gardener, cook, nurse, counselor, sister, friend, to all who need her, and she has the talent to anticipate people's needs. Brenda also loves animals the way I do, and she and I enjoy sharing stories about the fun and frustration and also heart ache of having pet animals living with you over the years. She is also a relentless optimist, it takes a lot to get her down, and her resilience is contagious. Her husband Jim too is someone who is always there for his many friends, tireless like Brenda in his willingness to give a helping hand. When cars break down, the weather turns bad, health becomes challenged or life in  general gets you down, Brenda is always there, and so is her husband , a blessing to all who know them. .

No comments:

Post a Comment