Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sunflower afternoon

A couple of summers ago, we grew some very tall sunflowers. That same summer, a whole bunch of tree frog tadpoles ended up in our pool, and we ended up with over 200 tree frogs in our garden. It was so fun. One day, I was watering the sunflowers, and I noticed a tiny tree frog sunning himself in the middle of one of the very tall sunflowers. It is one of the dearest memories I have of our summer garden.The little green tree frog looked so happy, so comfortable in his sunflower pent house.I stood as quietly as I could, and he stayed, feeling rightly he had nothing to fear from me. I so much wanted to be him or her, at that particular moment. It seemed a moment in paradise, with the warm sun overhead, the sweet south wind breeze, the glorious, luxurious silence of the summer's afternoon. A timeless moment of peace, where the universe seemed to make complete sense, even for a tiny tree frog. He seemed completely unafraid of me.Perhaps he sensed I envied his bliss at that moment. All creatures can sense intent, and my intent was to enjoy seeing him so totally at one with the afternoon, the sun, the slightly swaying sunflower that provided him with his cozy oasis.I saw many tree frogs in our backyard that summer, they were every where, but that little frog snoozing on the giant sunflower's heart is remembered in all its happy detail. That little tree frog had the ability to enjoy to the fullest that wonderful summer day, reminding me to do just that whenever I have the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment