Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Faerouz

In 1984, a friend of mine gave me a music cassette titled "Faerouz : Songs and Music from Mais El - Rim, Volume 1". I was in for a real treat. At the time I was friends with a woman from Nebraska, Lisa, who was married to Mohsen, an engineering student from Egypt. They had friends from Tunisia, Morocco, as well as Egypt and I got to meet them and spend time with them. The culture intrigued me, as did the language and the music. The first time I listened to the cassette with Faerouz' songs I was blown away by the range and the beauty of the Diva's voice. There's a love song on that cassette that just haunted me, leaving me almost transfixed. I kept the cassette, and it moved with me from Texas to Washington State in 1988. I recently re-connected with a Moroccan friend who was part of our group of friends in Austin, Texas, and last weekend I decided to try and find the cassette. I did, while sorting through a shelf that needed cleaning up. I wasn't even sure if the old cassette would still work, but my husband assured me it was just fine. We were eating outside, as the weather has been hot and perfect to enjoy BBQ. on our deck and patio, and we put the cassette on. It was in good condition, and within minutes I was transported back to all the memories and emotions of 1984 in Austin, Texas. Faerouz's powerful voice, strong and melodious, rang like a crystal bell through the early evening trees and sky of our backyard. I smiled. The heart has no time, it seems, my friends'faces came back to me as were it just yesterday that I was eating dinner with them,enjoying their laughter, their voices. Thirty years vanished. When I would listen to Faerouz's music, it instilled in me a sense of dignity and purpose connected to the memory of these friendships that has stayed with me. Faerouz's music touched me deeply, warmly then, and it still does. I wish I could have seen her in concert while she was in the US. The beautiful Diva is 77 now. What a satisfying feeling it must be to an artist like her to know she touched the lives and hearts of millions of listeners worldwide. She left an impact on me. Part of me wants to be her, because part of me feels empowered and beautiful, strong and proud when I hear her voice ring through my soul now, as clearly as it did 30 years ago. Shukran, Faerouz.

No comments:

Post a Comment