Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Tiger and The Grasshopper

Once in a blue moon, a friend comes along who knows just what it takes to make our heart and spirit feel free and at ease. As luck would have it, this friend now lives on the other side of the planet, far beyond the big blue sea, if I think of it in fairy tale terms. Somehow, my friend D. reminds me of a benevolent tiger, and I always thought of myself as a grasshopper, a little over exuberant, always trying  my friend's patience. I have a fiery disposition, with a lot of energy and passions, and he had this ability to just absorb it all, making me feel accepted just the way my Flemish- French blood was put together. For years we lost touch, many years, like close to thirty. Then modern technology allowed us to communicate easily and we do, for more than a year now. The fondness I had for him then easily returned, and now I find myself thinking of him again as the benevolent tiger, very far away, but close to my spirit. And I am the eager, slightly annoying grasshopper, trying hard to keep up with the tiger's larger stride. I haven't heard from my friend in some time now, and it makes me wonder what is happening with him. Distance is as distance does, and I can only hope he is all right. When I do hear from him again, I will tell him that he is unique in how he affected me to inspire peace and dignity to my being whenever I heard of him. It is an affection that transcends time, space and circumstance. A big brother, a friend, a fellow graduate student at one time, always gracious, kind, tolerant. I miss him. I have no way of doing anything about it, but wait, and hope the tiger will check in with me and we will go walking again across the e- highway, sharing tales of wonder with ease and comfort. Ubi est amicus meus?

No comments:

Post a Comment