Monday, August 5, 2013

The Village

The famous American architect Gordon Matta -Clark came to mind yesterday in a conversation on-line about art. What I took away from the dialogue was that the trauma of post World War II intellectually  never really healed. The disenchantment with the modern world and its hypocrisy at glossing over the ugliness of the industrial world's insatiable greed is as relevant as ever. Gordon Matta-Clark was a genius at bringing that hypocrisy and ugliness bare, and one can only speculate what other ingenious, bold architectural statements he would have achieved had he not died so young. Technology seems to only further the exponential speed at which the industrial world can reap its stained harvests. Yet, for all the cause for somber pause, I find there is a glimmer of hope in social media. The alienation modern society imposes invariably on us 21st century citizens now finds ingenious relief and resources in social media. Through Facebook I have re-connected with some friends I had not seen or heard of in 30 years. The reunions are not bitter-sweet, they are sweet. I feel like I am visiting a village in some science-fiction setting, where it does not matter that my friends are half a planet away, I can send them a message and within seconds I have a response. Granted, some conversations are more gratifying than others, depending on the level of gregariousness and interest of the person, but I am finding that over time, these re-connections are very rewarding. There is also the interesting experience of meeting new friends. A bit unnerving at first, but again, I am finding that overall, with patience, discretion and respect, it is very possible to discover a mutual bond that goes beyond the superficial or mundane. It feels to me like being part of a village, where the meeting on-line is not unlike a gathering at a cafe, or a home, a gallery, a town square. With people you already know, there is a certain ease, a chance to deepen connections. With people you have not met physically, there is the added interest of getting to know them, their reactions, their patience, or lack thereof, their sense of humour, their style, personality. I find the whole process intriguing. It seems to express a desire to break down the walls of anonymity that modern life invariably infects us with. Oh, sure, you are going to come across the occasional creep, but that happens in real life too. I am finding that most people have good hearts, have worthwhile dreams and aspirations, are often damaged or hurt in one way or another, which makes for stilted conversations at times, but I have come across great chivalry and kindness, which re-affirms my faith in humanity. There is an artist in Texas who I respect enormously for his intellectual integrity, and one Texas artist who I cherish because he makes me laugh with his outrageous humour. I have not physically met either of them and may never see them in person, but, they make a difference when I walk into one of their town square conversations and I am grateful for their existence. I grew up in a small Flemish town, where everyone knew each other. I have not been back due to various circumstances, in 26 years. But, to me, as illusory as it may perhaps be, joining my old and new found friends on-line, is kind of like going home, because I am always welcome, and people make me feel like I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment