Monday, November 10, 2014

Child's Lament

Bright like the golden autumn sun
are my hopes and dreams of belonging
and being free, crisp fall leaves
twirling giddily on the chilly breeze.

The heartache that won't go away,
I was a child playing, and you pushed me aside
like a spoiled soul tired of my innocent spirit

that wanted your love so very much.
Oh, mother, what were you thinking,
trading your daughter's life for a pair
of smarmy eyes ?

You locked me in a tidy toy chest,
far away from your selfish pride,
mocked my yearning for you
with laughter and contempt.

Underneath your seductive lipstick smile
you hid a knife that cut my dreams in  half,
you stood by like a wolf smirking at the bleeding lamb.

You threw me away, like an ill fitting shoe,
one that offended by its softness your stiletto thirst.
I loved you so, but you sold my innocence to the highest bidder
for your own peace of mind.

Queen of the realm, you poisoned our king,
and made chambermaids out of your daughters' talents.
Oh, mother, what have you done, trading my sisters and
brother and I for season tickets to smarmy eyes and sighs?

You cast me adrift on an ocean of despair, branded like
a criminal with the mark of your arrogant display.
Forever intoxicated with your own self-importance
you scattered your children like ashes to the wind.

I am awake now, mother, and it is only once in a while
on a cold day like today, that your icy presence makes
my resolve shiver down to your absent bones.

Trudi Ralston.
November 10th, 2014.
I know. But it was just Halloween after all.
And her ghost is one of the creepier ones in my chest of disturbing
slumbers and quiet screams.  



No comments:

Post a Comment