Friday, November 14, 2014

The Loom

It is a nice thing, those crispy, freezing cold days stretching almost luxuriously under a blindingly bright blue sky and warm, golden streaks of sunlight. Even without ice or snow on the ground, the sounds outside are pleasantly muffled, adding a sense of well-being and belonging to my solitary day. I missed seing the spiderwebs. As someone who enjoys working with fabric and needle, I have great respect for the hard working spider and her flawlessly and patiently constructed  webs. My upbeat mood made me smile. I thought of the cautious, loyal support a long time friend of mine brings to my writing efforts. An exceedingly busy person, this friend still finds the time to read my stories and poems, and sends encouraging words of appreciation my way. His encouragement the last two years have had an inspiring and energizing influence. Today, it brings the image of a loom to mind, perhaps triggered by the memory of seeing beautiful spiderwebs. My poems and stories live in my heart and mind often for weeks, sometimes for months, even years, before I feel ready to let them go, giving flesh to the invisible threads of the loom kept carefully in the treasure chest of my memories and experiences. The loom stays well oiled and cared for, in part because of the support of my quiet, gentle friend. Half a planet away,he somehow manages to make a difference, somehow keeps watch over the invisible loom , that like the dwarf in the chess machine keeps my spirit's inspiration and creative energy not only alive, but happy and healthy. Antoine de Saint - Exupery said that the most important things in life are invisible, and that is remarkably so. No one can see the threads on the loom in my heart, they are invisible to everyone, even to me at times, until I start writing and the threads work together to become a visible story or poem. I love my friend for this gift. He is a companion to my muse.Physically very far away, he often feels near like a heartbeat, inspiring me to keep believing in my dream to share my writing. The loom of hope. Sometimes to keep it going strong, it takes just one kind, compassionate friend. I should know. Merci, ami fidel.

For D.O.

No comments:

Post a Comment