Friday, November 28, 2014

Glow

My husband and I were busy preparing the Thanksgiving turkey dinner, my husband focusing on the fresh cranberry - orange relish, and his delicious stuffing, while I made the candied yams and green bean casserole. Macy's Thanksgiving Parade was on, showing cheerful floats and very spiffy high school bands from all over the country. I love Thanksgiving, it is my favorite winter Holiday. Maybe because it is such a festive transition from fall into winter, and because it is not so long as the Christmas Holidays, that do seem to go on a bit. The dinner preparations proceeded very smoothly, and the food turned out great. I slept so well, I remember smiling before I dozed off. When I woke up this morning, I was still smiling, I noticed, and mused about how cool it is that turkey meat has tryptophan in it, that stimulates a sense of well - being and relaxation, as it releases endorphins. How great is that, the turkey has my vote as the coolest bird ever. Who says it's all about looks! I started thinking about how accomplishing something minor like a good holiday meal that goes off without a hitch can make us feel satisfied, content , happy even. It does not seem to particularly matter what minor feat we pull off, something about it gives us a sense of purpose, of belonging and peace. Some people of course achieve great things, that benefit millions of people, through a cure for some awful disease, or the ending of political tyranny at the hands of some twisted dictator, or bring joy to millions more through the sharing of their gifts as musicians, painters, architects, poets, dancers. The feeling of euphoria these geniuses must experience has to be out of this world. The sense of making a difference on a grand scale must be awesome. Hope is such an important element on a human's path through life. Perhaps that is why accomplishments of any size on any scale add a measure of fulfillment. Yesterday, for me, and my husband, it was cooking a delicious Thanksgiving dinner. My husband is a very good cook, and it gives him great pleasure when my son and I enjoy his dinners, and desserts. He is also a poet in his garden, creating an abundance of beautiful flowers for us to enjoy throughout the spring and summer, giving me in turn the chance to share my photos of our flowers, which gives me a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment as well. Small measures of joy that is shared, when we can share our talents,  however minute on a grander scale. The joy does not seem diminished by the smaller scale, perhaps a mercy by a benevolent great spirit somewhere. It certainly seems merciful that the baking of a great pie can fill a heart with a sense of pride and satisfaction as much it seems as the applause a famous conductor receives for a splendid performance. The only requirement is to use our talents, whatever they may be, however great or small, ordinary or extra ordinary, and to share them, generously, copiously, every chance we have, to guarantee that most beautiful glow of deep,glorious satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment