Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Blue Bird, Blue Bird

Blue bird, blue bird, won't you come back for me?
My friend is someplace I am not so sure of.
He let me know he needs my prayer and thoughts,
but I do not know where that place might be.

You know his heart, you know where he is,
you know where he might be for now, or where
he might be going later on.
So, come to me, tell me how he is.

I heard you sing this morning a song I had not heard before.
Come here, blue bird, rest a while, and talk to me,
and take me with you, at least for a spell,
so I can know you will be there for him.

Blue bird, blue bird, don't leave me here alone.
But if you must go, promise me when it is my turn
to travel where I do not have previous steps or flight,
that you will come for me, so that when I get to
where my friend may have to travel now,
I can find him by your song that will guide me there.

Blue bird, blue bird, why must you go?
I will miss your sweet song, your bright wings
by my side, by my mornings and nights.

But if you must go, promise me, promise me,
you will come and find me and take me to him,
so that I will know he will always be alright
with you by his side.

Trudi Ralston.
November 4th, 2015.
for D. O. 
In mythology, the blue bird is a symbol of happiness.
That is what I wish for my friend, beyond all barriers,
all limitations of space and time.
The poem is meant to be sung, as it came to me that way.  


No comments:

Post a Comment