Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Summer's Delight

The turquoise air crisp and clear with each relaxed breath I take
the clouds above blinding white, I smell the ocean's precise salty scent.
Pelicans above me soar their boundless freedom on cool, swaying wings.

Summer's delight clings to my hair and eyes, the breeze setting ablaze
sunset's light, searing its fire into my smile and heart.

Ephemerous unlike the stars above, I sway on the beach's soothing sand.
I exhale and the present becomes past.

Summer's delight escapes my touch like a dove set free
in a circus trick, my sigh unable to hold  my delirious plight,
as time's clock sings its enchanted piano tune.

Soon I will need a sweater to ward off the autumn's chill
and the rustle of browned, dried leaves will hum beneath my walking feet,
and far away will be summer's memory and its honey taste
in my cup and in my dreams.


Trudi Ralston.
August 23rd, 2016.



No comments:

Post a Comment