Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Monster in the Closet

There's a monster in the closet,
I don't quite know what to do.
I can hear it belching, sniffling, snoring.
I think it is by my shoes.

There's a monster in the closet,
I've seen it, it's green and black
and slimey blue,
it's got bulging eyes and crooked teeth,
it smells bad, too.

How did it get there, I wonder.
I hear its belly grumble,
so I feed it twice a day
and hear it slurp the water
I put there before noon.

Sometimes, I hear it laugh.
Sometimes I hear it cry.

In the winter I make sure
it has a blanket and a pillow, too.
It is sure to get bored,
so I sneak it toys, balls and story books.

I thought of chasing it away one time,
but it is a dark, cold world out there,
and what is a monster to do?
I hate to hurt its feelings,
even though it scares me to a shiver.

There's a monster in the closet,
and I've seen it watch the stars
at night, and sigh.
Perhaps it's got a home somewhere
and misses those it loves.

There's a monster in the closet,
don't disturb it, it is sleeping now.
I will keep it, I know,
for a very long time,
because that monster up close
looks a lot like you and I.

Trudi Ralston
April 14th, 2012.

I wrote The Monster in the Closet as a humorous, and also, somewhat sad reminder,
that we all are tainted by life's experiences, and that those we love are only flawed as badly
as we turn out to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment