Thursday, April 12, 2012

Family Crest

This poem was written at a poetry work shop I attended at Jeanne Lohmann's house.My therapist had introduced me to the local Olympian poet, and this poem coincides with the time I was in therapy after our whole family unraveled after the death of my second sister, in 2005.

Family Crest

We wanted courage, we wanted hope
Instead we got muffled answers, sneering remarks.

We must keep up appearances
Stare emtiness square in the eye.

This is our family, our legacy, our time.

Focus is a must, just think of its reward.
There is no room for honesty, honor,
Or trust.

We wanted courage, we wanted resolve.
Instead we got shadow games
Clowns dressed like monks.

We can and will redress time.
Everything will come up smelling roses.
Just try, we must try.

We wanted courage, we wanted hope.
Instead we got illusions winding
Down empty roads.

Trudi Ralston, June 19th 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment