Thursday, April 12, 2012

Wound

This poem too, I read the same night at the Olympia Poetry Network gathering downtown Olympia at Traditions. It is a poem dedicated to the people I lost in the chaos of my family falling apart: my father, my brother, two sisters, a good friend named Jeff. It is a poem that to me reminds me of the destructive power of hope, dreams, trust and love gone wrong.

Wound

Ne pleure pas la bouche pleine,
My great grand mother used to say.
Don't cry with your mouth full.

I don't know anymore where you are
But I'll always know where you'll be.

On the beach of my dreams
Roaring your laughter
Against the crashing waves,
as I watch you forget everything
About me, even my name.

Don't cry with your mouth full,
I remind myself
as I watch you and the night sky
Disappear.

Trudi Ralston
June 24th, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment