Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Morning Sunset

Glaring like a mad clown's nose, the sun's red fire burns through the morning smokey sky
like a magnifying glass through paper the way my father showed me as a child.

The sun is setting in the morning light, and it makes my heart sink and hide.
Montana and Oregon's fires sending us smoke signals, it is a war drum's beat.

Kindergartners will be told to stay inside for their first recess at school today,
do not look at that red sun their teacher will tell them when they want to go out and play.

I remember spending summers at the beach as a small child, getting tanned and sea saltwater logged,
and playing in the hot sand all day, eating crunchy sandwiches and laughing in the sun under a blue, clear sky.

My son is grown and someday may have children of his own.
Will they get to go out and play in the sun all day, or will these red sun morning sunsets
be their new story book bad dream we will have to share with them,
as the sun's red anger takes a toll on all our hopes and dreams
and mad kings swing their scepters dripped in diamonds and blood
with blind eyes that no longer can see anything but their need for bottomless greed ?

The sun did not rise as a pale yellow gold disc,
instead its red fire made me look away.
The sun sets in the west, remember, my father used to say.
I never thought those words would come and haunt me today.


Trudi Ralston.


No comments:

Post a Comment