Saturday, September 22, 2012

Reflection

This morning, as our dog Yara and I were walking early through the garden, I sensed a definite change. It was so quiet. Our footsteps sounded muffled, only a couple of birds were singing, and the whole morning had a feel of reverence about it. The sky was a cloudy blue-grey, and yellow leaves were crunching under our steps,as we walked through the tall sunflowers. Fall is here. Goodbye, sweet summer and azure skies, warm sun and brightly colored flowers, bees and dragonflies. Goodbye hummingbirds and the buzzing whirl of your bullet fast flight. Goodbye butterflies and the playful games on all our plants. Our cats Tigger and Sneakers will miss snoozing in your warmth, and I will miss the beautiful scents of sweet peas and carnations, and the stunning blooms of our bright red and purple fuchsia hanging baskets. Goodbye soon to the petunias, and my majestic sunflowers. Hello, pumpkins and squash, and leaves twirling to the ground. Hello to the abundance of spiders and their crafty webs. The squirrels are still around, getting the hazelnuts and the seeds I put out, and Yara and I still get to eat raspberries and blackberries. But I cannot deny that there is a sadness in my heart to see summer go, as I love being outside in the warm summer air. The good news is, as nature is cyclical, summer will be back. But I certainly would not mind fast forwarding from the end of October to March. I can celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas in the spring, really, I can. That way , we can go swimming after the turkey and pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment