Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Watermark

It is surprising to me how people can leave an impact on our being. When you cut yourself, and it heals, there is often a scar to remind us that is where we got hurt. I only make that observation, because it gets the visual image across of leaving a mark. I am thinking of a positive imprint, much like a watermark, that you can see when you hold a money bill to the light. To make a watermark impression, takes a very specific physical process. In the same way, the watermark friends, family can leave is an invisible alchemy that we can see with the eye of our heart. My friend Catherine B. in Paris, who was one of my roommates in graduate school in Austin, Texas, is such a person who has left an indelible print on my psyche. The gift of her watermark on my soul is one of inspiring confidence, and making me feel respected and valued. My friend Driss O. in Morocco, who was a good friend also in graduate school, left a watermark that provides creative energy and determination to pursue goals and dreams. Both these friends are far away physically, literally, a world away, but their presence cannot be denied, and in times of stress they appear in my dreams at night, to remind me of the qualities they want to inspire in me. It is a very cool thing. Antoine de Saint -Exupery said that ''the most important things are invisible to the eye". I could not agree more when it comes to the definite, but to the eye, invisible watermark faithful friends leave on our hearts. The watermark my husband Michael is leaving is to persist, to keep on keeping on, no matter what the obstacle. The indelible mark my son is leaving is perspective, as Nicholas has a very keen insight into people and issues. My friend Diane's gift is the watermark of active compassion and humility. My Bishop at my church is giving my soul the permanent mark of strength through rock solid faith. My father's youngest sister, Tante Lieve, is generously leaving the imprint of dignity with intelligence and heart. My father's gift was intellectual curiosity. Invisible gifts that nourish me in times both good and bad, and for which I am exceedingly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment