Sunday, September 30, 2012

Window fans

It is just about October and the weather here in Western Washington continues to be gorgeous. There is not a cloud in the bright blue sky, there is a sweet breeze, it is a cozy 71 degrees Fahrenheit. The window fans we put in  at the beginning of the summer are still going strong, and in spite of the constant dust they bring into the house, I absolutely love them, their sound, their presence, because they mean it is summer, or even now that it is officially autumn, that it is still warm outside. Perhaps another reason I like the window fans, is that they remind me in shape of the twirly sticks they sell at the ocean to children. I love the ocean, because I grew up near it, and spent time there in the summers, from the time I could walk. The window fans are associated with free time, with ease, with warmth, play, sun. I want to postpone putting them away as long as possible. I love how the the light plays in them, casting shadows, in the morning and late afternoon. I love the fresh air they bring in, the feeling of a fresh wind, that I can feel cooling my face on hot summer evenings when the house is slow to cool off. There is a reassuring quality to the sound of their whir, that helps me fall asleep on those hot nights when it would be to stuffy to fall asleep comfortably. Summertime and the living is easy, and the widow fans are twirling, the house is cool, there is ice-cream in the freezer, and plenty of nice, cold water in the pool. The simple pleasure of some whirling window fans, is a big part of what makes summer a happy time for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment