Thursday, September 4, 2014

Coup de Grace

Like water colour lines cannot hesitate
my heart beats steadily and does not
fear as shadow and light dance around
the path of life that is mine to walk.

You know my strengths, my weaknesses,
my struggles and my triumphs,
the tears that hide behind the ready smiles.
Yet you remain, a sentinel quiet and kind.

It is no easy task to love a stormy heart
to temper your insights, your command
and strength, you never waver or give in
to the easy way out, the mercy kill.

A friend on good days and bad, you walk beside me
and adjust your step to ease my own.
Like an ocean could easily drown the visiting seagull
and ignore its need for whimsy and gentle squall,

You stay your power and gently listen to my song.
You are a refuge, a comfort and a joy. You never claim
anything but the dignity and the hope we both can share.
I thank you for your patience as the years move on.

As youth surrenders to the slower rhythms of our seasons' life
your steady step along side mine brings time and again,
hope and purpose to a journey that often is not one of ease or apparent track.
Thank you, my friend, for being there, so far, so near, to help me count the stars

That you have helped me count on more than one otherwise bleak winter night. 

Trudi Ralston.
September 4th, 2014.

For all my faithful friends over the years, far and near.

No comments:

Post a Comment