Monday, July 24, 2017

Souad Massi : Bright Star in a Dark Sky

There is a beautiful concert on YouTube , from 2015, in Alger, that features the Algerian singer of Berber descent, Souad Massi. I had never heard her music before, and within mintutes I was swept up in the power of her voice, its range and depth.  As I listened to her soulful melodies, I was quickly reminded of the legendary Faeruz. The concert showcases not only her amazing voice, and its richness, warmth, power and nuance, but together with the members of her band, it celebrates the complex, rich history of North African music, in instrumentation and content. The oud, a five - stringed plucked instrument and the tabl, a cylindrical double - sided drum are among my favorite instruments in her band, alongside her proficiency on the guitar. I agree that there is a noticeable influence of the 1960's American folkmusic in her songs, but I find her uniqueness as a vocal artist in her embrace of her both Algerian Berber and Arab vocalization and themes more relevant than any one outside influence. Her music transports to the unquestionable richness of North African music, that can stand squarely on its own without us making sure we take some credit for Western influences, even if they are acknowledged by the artist herself. I do not feel like I am listening to an American artist, and why should I ? Souad Massi is Algerian Berber and I love to get lost in the richness of her voice that carries on a long tradition of exquisite female voices that have unique melodies and stories. I can appreciate the desire to be inclusive, to make art feel universal, but what also makes art unique is that each country, each culture has its own musical voice. When I listen to Souad Massi I am listening to an undeniably unique artist from a unique part of the world with a unique music history and tradition. She is a bright star on any day, and especially now in a world where media sets us up to be divisive along cultural and not just political lines. Listen to Souad Massi, open up your ears, heart and mind, you will discover through her music an amazingly nuanced, profound world  that is all hers, Berber, Algerian, mixed in with yes some Western influences, but those are definitely in the background as they should be. She is not French, or American. I listen to her because she sings about her own world, her own experiences, not because she is from New York, London or Los Angeles. I love French music very much, and have great respect for their chansonniers, but I do not listen to them when I want to hear Berber and Algerian music anymore than I would listen to Souad Massi or Idir or Rachid Taha when I want to hear French music. I listen to Souad Massi because she takes me to a different world, with a different language, a different story and sound. One that reminds me of our communality as far as the human experience goes, and simultaneously celebrates the unique differences that enrich us all.  Her music is a reminder to make sure that unique voices are encouraged and celebrated and that we do not feel the presumptious need to put all artists in the same country and under under the same flag, other than the human one.

No comments:

Post a Comment